Positive affirmations are truly awesome! They’re so simple, yet incredibly powerful.
They can help to drive positive change in your life. Whether it be raising your confidence, increasing control over negative thoughts & emotions, improving productivity, reducing stress and anxiety, improving self-esteem or reducing bad habits.
In this article, I’ll explain:
- What positive affirmations are
- The benefits of repeating positive affirmations
- The 4 steps you can follow to get started
- Key things to know before getting started
At the end I have embedded 2 videos to help you get started with positive affirmations and will also introduce you to my recently published Mindfully Happy Handbook.
In this handbook, you will learn all about mindfulness, gratitude, positive mindset and mindfulness meditation, and how they can be used to complement positive affirmations.
What Are Positive Affirmations?
Positive affirmations are simply positive statements that mirror desirable characteristics you aspire to have in the future. They are usually repeated to oneself regularly to bring about positive changes in mindset and behaviour.
Positive affirmations are powerful because they can help you to:
- Become a more positive person
- Feel more motivated to achieve your goals
- Be more grateful of what you have
- See the good in the bad
- Overcome limiting beliefs & negative thoughts
- Reach your true potential
- Live your best life!
Just as negative thoughts are imprinted in our minds over time with repetition, positive beliefs are formed the same way.
I’m sure that many of you will have used repetition to improve a certain skill before. Whether it was training at the gym or studying for a test.
In addition to improving our fitness and memory, repetition can also be used to reprogram our mind. We do this by continuously repeating positive and empowering statements to ourselves until eventually, the brain starts to believe that they’re true.
This can be a very powerful technique to use, especially when paired with visualisation, gratitude and goal-setting.
It can transform the way we think, the way we act as well as how we perceive the world around us.
What Benefits Will You Gain by Repeating Positive Affirmations?
Sometimes when people hear of “positive affirmations” their initial reaction is that it’s a bit too “woo woo” for them or that it’s just unrealistic wishful thinking.
But this actually isn’t true.
The results and benefits of using positive affirmations to reprogram the mind have actually been backed by science.
Some studies have revealed that positive affirmations can help to:
- Reduce stress & mental health issues
- Promote greater well-being
- Improve problem solving
- Keep you motivated to achieve your goals
- Challenge limiting beliefs and negative thoughts
- Build self-esteem, confidence and a sense of empowerment
- Improve overall performance at work
- Give you control back over your mind
This is especially true when in high-pressure situations or when completing a task you lack confidence in (Eg. Public Speaking).
The 4 Steps You Can Follow to Get Started
1) Identify Negative Thoughts
Negative thoughts are toxic! They can also become self-fulfilling prophecies if left unchecked.
The problem is that so many of us talk ourselves into believing we’re not good enough, that we feel like sh**. We also lose confidence and sabotage our personal lives, relationships and careers.
This is why you must identify the negative thoughts that have been holding you back from achieving your true potential.
Here are some examples:
- I’m not good at my job and will never be successful because I’m not smart enough confidence…
- I’m ugly and don’t deserve to be loved
- Nobody likes me. I’m all alone.
- I’m so stressed and overwhelmed, I can’t handle this anymore.
You can read more about the toxicity of negative thoughts and limiting beliefs in this article: How to Overcome Limiting Beliefs.
2) Consider the Opposite Alternatives
The second step in the process is to think of a thought or behaviour that is the complete opposite to your negative thought or limiting belief. Put it into a short sentence or statement that you find empowering and that is achievable.
Your affirmation should be personal to you and specifically related to what you want to change.
- I am happy and I am healthy
- I am strong, powerful and good at what I do.
- I am harmonious, I am at peace and I am relaxed.
- I am kind to all people, loving, forgiving and compassionate.
- I am successful and I can do this!
- I am honest in my life, and my work.
- I am confident socially and enjoy meeting new people
3) Repetition, Repetition.
When happy with your affirmations, repeat them to yourself regularly (Eg. Once or twice a day), especially when you notice yourself engaging in negative self-talk.
With practice, you’ll start to remember your affirmations off by heart enabling you to recite them to yourself easily, with little thought or preparation.
4) Bring Some Imagination into the Mix
It can also help to visualise the positive behaviour you wish to achieve.
Let your imagination run wild and consider what emotions you might feel when you have achieved or are performing that specific act.
Do you feel happier, more confident or maybe even proud?
This will help to add extra power to your affirmation.
Key Things to Know Before Getting Started
1) When first getting started with affirmations, I’ll be completely honest with you, you’re going to feel a bit awkward and like a dork. You may even feel quite detached from the affirmations or that you’re lying to yourself.
When this happens, just recall why you chose to recite positive affirmations in the first place.
I can tell you now, it was likely because you aspire to BECOME a better version of yourself or have certain traits you’d like to IMPROVE. Not to confirm to yourself who you CURRENTLY are (Otherwise, that would defeat the whole purpose…)
Continuous repetition will help to imprint these positive beliefs into your subconscious mind helping to replace any negative thoughts that existed there beforehand.
It will also make them seem less weird…I promise!
2) You will also need to prepare yourself that in some instances, you’re going to have to go into battle with your mind. Repeating affirmations to yourself is not always as easy as it sounds.
For example, when stressed or anxious, sometimes your mind and thoughts can feel out of control. This can make it really hard to focus on anything positive at that point in time. It can also be a time where you feel skeptical and in denial.
However, you just need to keep practicing, remain committed and consistent.
Overtime it will become easier and your affirmations will start to create a new reality for you, where you truly believe they are coming true.
In summary, incorporating positive affirmations into your life is all about replacing negative vibes with more positive ones.
When paired with gratitude recitations, visualisation and goal-setting, you’ll become an unstoppable force to be reckoned with.
If you like to meditate whilst listening to music or guided meditations, you should try listening to these videos during 2 of your sessions. Sometimes, depending on my mood, I find listening to someone else saying the affirmations to be really powerful.
It also means that I don’t have to worry about remembering them all which is a bonus.
Video 1: “I AM” Positive Affirmations to Start Your Morning Right (Under 12 mins)
Video 2: “I AM” Positive Affirmations For Success (Under 30 mins)
Now it’s up to you to start practicing and to give positive affirmations a go.
Improve Your Results With the Mindfully Happy Handbook!
If you’re interested in improving your mindset and learning to be more mindful throughout your days, ensure to get your copy of the Mindfully Happy Handbook.
This beginners handbook was created to help people, just like you, live happier and more fulfilled lives.
To feel truly happy with ourselves and our lives we must start from the inside out.
We must learn to overcome all the obstacles that have been holding us back from achieving our true potential, including limiting beliefs and negative thoughts.
Within this 20+ page handbook, you will:
- Gain an introduction to Mindfulness & Mindfulness Meditation
- Learn how to incorporate Mindfulness into your life (Eg. Mindful eating, showering, walking etc)
- Gain an introduction to gratitude & why it’s so important for living a happy life.
- Be taught ways to overcome limiting beliefs and negative thoughts
- Be given the tools and information you need to start your own daily Mindfulness Meditation practice
If you’re interested in living a happier and more fulfilled life through mindfulness, meditation and gratitude principles, you can read more about it get your copy here.
Other than that, I wish you all the best!!
- Why I Quit My Job to Travel the World at 24yo - April 25, 2021
- Why Seeing Progress on our Goals Helps us Live a Happier Life - March 10, 2021
- 7 Time-Saving Productivity Tips that Can Transform Your Life - May 4, 2020