What is Mindfulness?
To understand Mindfulness, the main thing you need to know is that it relates to focusing you attention on the present moment.
Through mindfulness you develop a greater awareness of yourself and your surroundings.
Your mind will naturally process the information around you, but rather than consuming your thoughts with these things, you simply focus your attention on something else.
This could be something that you find calming. For example, your breath.
Becoming more mindful can enhance your life by helping you to deal more effectively with stressful situations, improve your mood, be more compassionate, and appreciative of the things around you.
At the end of this article, I will introduce you to the Mindfully Happy Handbook. Download your copy today and learn more about how you can live a happier life through mindfulness, gratitude and meditation.
How to Incorporate it into Your life
There are many ways to incorporate Mindfulness into your life – that’s why it’s so AWESOME!! Mindfulness is very versatile!
You can practice it whilst:
- In the shower or having a bath
- Cleaning or doing household chores
- Exercising – Eg. Swimming, yoga, running, dancing.
- Drinking herbal tea or your morning coffee
- Smelling a rose in your neighbours garden
Read more detail about ways to incorporate mindfulness into your life below:
To become more mindful in your life, here are some basic steps you can follow:
- Choose something to focus on.
- The natural rhythm of your breath is often the easiest to start with.
- Tune into your body to see how you feel and to observe any thoughts running through your mind.
- Remember to only observe them and then return your focus back to your breath.
- Engage in your senses and surroundings.
- What can you smell? What can you hear?
The concept of mindfulness is really simple. However, focusing on your breath without getting distracted can be challenging.
If you find yourself struggling with this, remember that it just takes some practice. Therefore, be kind to yourself and avoid getting frustrated or giving up. Instead, return your attention back to your breath and start again.
So, that’s mindfulness…Let’s now talk about “Mindfulness Meditation”.
What is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness meditation is simply a type of meditation that uses mindfulness principles during its practice.
The two concepts are sometimes intertwined which can make things confusing at times.
During Mindfulness Meditation, you follow similar steps as those mentioned above (focusing on the present, your breath, clearing your mind and observing wandering thoughts), but, it is usually done for a specific amount of time and not whilst multi-tasking.
Instead, you usually adopt a certain pose to meditate in – whether it’s a seated, standing or lying down position.
You can read more about them here:
- Related: What is Mindfulness Meditation?
- Related: Meditation Poses for Beginners – 4 Tips to Improve Your Posture
The Benefits of Mindfulness & Meditation?
There is such a wide range of scientifically proven benefits of meditation and you don’t need to be a Buddhist monk or yogi to experience them.
All you do need to do is practice regularly, even if it’s just 5-10 minutes a day.
Some of the known and proven benefits of meditation include:
- It can reduces stress & anxiety symptoms and improve your ability to handle stressful situations
- Can improve sleep
- Great for general health & well-being
- You learn to be more compassionate towards yourself and others
- Reduces depression & PTSD symptoms
- Promotes inner harmony and greater self-awareness
- Reduces the chance of burn-out
- Can reduce muscles pain or aches in the body
Read more about the benefits here:
Generally, the most important and challenging part of Meditation, is turning it into a daily habit. Some days it can take some self-discipline and determination, but I reassure you, commitment and consistency is key!
This 5-day Meditation Course will teach you about the basics of Meditation and how you can relieve stress and anxiety naturally.
Get started by entering your details below.
- 7 Time-Saving Productivity Tips that Can Transform Your Life - May 4, 2020
- How to Do Body Scan Meditation & 5 Ways it Benefits Your Health - May 1, 2020
- How to Build a Meditation Routine | 5 Easy Tips for Beginners - April 29, 2020