Himalayan Salt Lamps are becoming increasingly popular, with many having either heard of them or having bought and positioned them around their homes already.
By why are people doing this? Is it just some hippie trend or a phase they’re going through?
The answer: Absolutely, not!
Don’t worry, owning a Himalayan Salt Lamp will not turn you into some hippy friend. Nor is it just a fad going around… like high-waisted arse revealing shorts. Please please go away….
Instead, Himalayan Salt Lamps are believed to have numerous health benefits, including their ability to counteract the negative impact of electronic appliances in our home environments.
What The Heck is a Himalayan Salt Lamp?
Simply, a real Himalayan Salt Lamp is made up of a big chunk of pure, hand-carved Himalayan salt. It then has a hole cut out of the centre for a light bulb.
This turns a normal block of Himalayan salt into a lamp – a very simple and soothing light source.
These days, most Himalayan Salt Lamps aren’t bought for their lighting capabilities (which let’s be honest, is pretty modest).
Adding the globe inside these rocks instead serves the purpose of helping to stimulate the beneficial properties of the salt (which I’ll explain more about below).
Due to their recent popularity, there are a number of suppliers selling fakes (not made from pure Himalayan Rock Salt)!
This is why it is so important to ensure that you’re buying from a reputable supplier.
“Ok cool, but what is Himalayan Salt?”
2. What is Himalayan Salt & Where Does it Come From?
Himalayan Salt (or Pink Salt, Himalayan Crystal Salt, Himalayan Sea Salt, Rock Salt as it is commonly referred), is a natural salt sourced from the Punjab region of Pakistan.
This very ancient region, located approximately 190 miles away from the Himalayas, is known to have one of the richest salt fields in the world. Some even say that the salt obtained from here dates back to as early as Earth’s creation. Crazy, huh?!
When consumed, the Sodium Chloride (NaCl) properties of the salt are beneficial to our internal health, helping to:
- Maintain healthy body functioning
- Improve nerve conduction
- Improve digestion
- Increase the absorption of nutrients and the elimination of waste products
According to Dr. Sircus, the purest Himalayan crystal salt comes from salt mines beneath the Himalayan Mountain Range – located as deep as 5,000 feet below.
Due to the pressure, it has received over millions of years, this salt is deemed to be top spec at over 99% pure.
The traditional Himalayan Salt Rocks that you see available to the public, online or at markets may be sourced instead from the higher regions of the Himalayan Mountains. They are still pure Himalayan Salt but may contain other impurities compared to the 99% pure salt mentioned above.
The mineral concentration in the salt can also influence its colour.
Himalayan Salt Lamps typically range from a light pink or pinkish orange colour to some rarer white forms. The whiter forms are much rarer than the usual Himalayan Rock Salt and is, therefore, much more expensive.
Why Do People Buy Himalayan Salt Lamps?
The popularity and interest towards Himalayan Salt Lamps over the last few years has grown dramatically.
Himalayan Salt Lamps are believed to:
- Purify the air; restoring and preserving natural air quality
- Correct the imbalance of ions in our home environments
- Neutralise the Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) that we get in our homes, due to having extensive electrical devices surrounding us
- Reduce symptoms of asthma, allergies and other illnesses
- Improve sleep
- Improve mood and reduce stress or anxiety symptoms
- Increase energy levels
- Boost serotonin levels
FYI: Serotonin is an important chemical and neurotransmitter in the human body. It is believed to help us to regulate our moods, appetite, digestion, sleep, memory and also for general bodily functioning.
Himalayan Salt Lamps vs. Himalayan Salt Candle Holders
Both work as well as one other (if the same size) so when deciding which one to buy, it’s going to mainly depend on your personal preferences and what you find more visually attractive or appealing.
I personally own 2 Himalayan Salt Tea-Light Candle Holders and am in love with them. I find them to be soothing and therefore help me to relax.
Especially after a busy day at work; reducing any feelings of stress and anxiety.
One obvious advantage of a Himalayan Salt Lamp over a Tea-Light Candle Holder is that you don’t have to replace the bulbs as often as you do candles. However, Himalayan Tea-Light Candle Holders are a more natural option that don’t require electricity to function.
Want to Get a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Yourself?
If you’re interested in getting a Himalayan Salt Lamp or a Himalayan Salt Candle Holder for yourself or a friend, here are some links you can check out for more information:
In this article, I talk about some key things you should look out for before taking the plunge and buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp.
If you don’t read this article, you could end up buying a FAKE which would leave you feeling very disappointed.
In this article, I also share my results from several hours of research on numerous brands. I review 4 popular Salt Lamp Brands on Amazon, to help you to reduce your likelihood of ending up with a dud!!
In summary of the article, the salt lamp that I personally recommend is The Body Source’s Himalayan Salt Lamp.
They were my winner after my research of numerous salt lamp suppliers because:
- 83% of the Amazon reviews are 5 Stars. This is a pretty amazing achievement on Amazon given the number of trolls out there
- They are labelled the “Amazon’s Best Choice” with over 7,000 customer reviews.
- The salt lamps are hand-carved Himalayan rock salt from Pakistan
- The lamps come with a wooden base to help protect your furniture from the salt
- They comes with a dimmer switch that customers say is easy to use, and an extra light bulb
- Three different sizes are available to suit the desired room
- Happy customers rave about the quality and size of the lamps, saying that they last and work well.
- This company has a website which makes seem seem more legit and authentic, it also allows you to get in touch with them if anything is not right with your salt lamp
I hope you now have a greater insight into what Himalayan Salt Lamps are all about.
- Why Seeing Progress on our Goals Helps us Live a Happier Life - March 10, 2021
- 7 Time-Saving Productivity Tips that Can Transform Your Life - May 4, 2020
- How to Do Body Scan Meditation & 5 Ways it Benefits Your Health - May 1, 2020