Himalayan Salt Lamps are becoming increasingly popular, with many having either heard of them or having bought and positioned them around their homes already.
By why are people doing this? Is it just some hippie trend or a phase they’re going through?
The answer: Absolutely, not!
Don’t worry, owning a Himalayan Salt Lamp will not turn you into some hippy friend. Nor is it just a fad going around… like high-waisted arse revealing shorts. Please please go away….
Instead, Himalayan Salt Lamps are believed to have numerous health benefits, including their ability to counteract the negative impact of electronic appliances in our home environments.
What The Heck is a Himalayan Salt Lamp?
Simply, a real Himalayan Salt Lamp is made up of a big chunk of pure, hand-carved Himalayan salt. It then has a hole cut out of the centre for a light bulb.
This turns a normal block of Himalayan salt into a lamp – a very simple and soothing light source.
These days, most Himalayan Salt Lamps aren’t bought for their lighting capabilities (which let’s be honest, is pretty modest).
Adding the globe inside these rocks instead serves the purpose of helping to stimulate the beneficial properties of the salt (which I’ll explain more about below).
Due to their recent popularity, there are a number of suppliers selling fakes (not made from pure Himalayan Rock Salt)!
This is why it is so important to ensure that you’re buying from a reputable supplier.
“Ok cool, but what is Himalayan Salt?”
2. What is Himalayan Salt & Where Does it Come From?
Himalayan Salt (or Pink Salt, Himalayan Crystal Salt, Himalayan Sea Salt, Rock Salt as it is commonly referred), is a natural salt sourced from the Punjab region of Pakistan.
This very ancient region, located approximately 190 miles away from the Himalayas, is known to have one of the richest salt fields in the world. Some even say that the salt obtained from here dates back to as early as Earth’s creation. Crazy, huh?!
When consumed, the Sodium Chloride (NaCl) properties of the salt are beneficial to our internal health, helping to:
- Maintain healthy body functioning
- Improve nerve conduction
- Improve digestion
- Increase the absorption of nutrients and the elimination of waste products
According to Dr. Sircus, the purest Himalayan crystal salt comes from salt mines beneath the Himalayan Mountain Range – located as deep as 5,000 feet below.
Due to the pressure, it has received over millions of years, this salt is deemed to be top spec at over 99% pure.
The traditional Himalayan Salt Rocks that you see available to the public, online or at markets may be sourced instead from the higher regions of the Himalayan Mountains. They are still pure Himalayan Salt but may contain other impurities compared to the 99% pure salt mentioned above.
The mineral concentration in the salt can also influence its colour.
Himalayan Salt Lamps typically range from a light pink or pinkish orange colour to some rarer white forms. The whiter forms are much rarer than the usual Himalayan Rock Salt and is, therefore, much more expensive.
Why Do People Buy Himalayan Salt Lamps?
The popularity and interest towards Himalayan Salt Lamps over the last few years has grown dramatically.
Himalayan Salt Lamps are believed to:
- Purify the air; restoring and preserving natural air quality
- Correct the imbalance of ions in our home environments
- Neutralise the Electro Magnetic Field (EMF) that we get in our homes, due to having extensive electrical devices surrounding us
- Reduce symptoms of asthma, allergies and other illnesses
- Improve sleep
- Improve mood and reduce stress or anxiety symptoms
- Increase energy levels
- Boost serotonin levels
FYI: Serotonin is an important chemical and neurotransmitter in the human body. It is believed to help us to regulate our moods, appetite, digestion, sleep, memory and also for general bodily functioning.
Himalayan Salt Lamps vs. Himalayan Salt Candle Holders
Both work as well as one other (if the same size) so when deciding which one to buy, it’s going to mainly depend on your personal preferences and what you find more visually attractive or appealing.
I personally own 2 Himalayan Salt Tea-Light Candle Holders and am in love with them. I find them to be soothing and therefore help me to relax.
Especially after a busy day at work; reducing any feelings of stress and anxiety.
One obvious advantage of a Himalayan Salt Lamp over a Tea-Light Candle Holder is that you don’t have to replace the bulbs as often as you do candles. However, Himalayan Tea-Light Candle Holders are a more natural option that don’t require electricity to function.
Want to Get a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Yourself?
If you’re interested in getting a Himalayan Salt Lamp or a Himalayan Salt Candle Holder for yourself or a friend, here are some links you can check out for more information:
In this article, I talk about some key things you should look out for before taking the plunge and buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp.
If you don’t read this article, you could end up buying a FAKE which would leave you feeling very disappointed.
In this article, I also share my results from several hours of research on numerous brands. I review 4 popular Salt Lamp Brands on Amazon, to help you to reduce your likelihood of ending up with a dud!!
In summary of the article, the salt lamp that I personally recommend is Levoit’s Himalayan Salt Lamp.
They were my winner after my research of numerous salt lamp suppliers because:
- 82% of their 1,688 customer reviews on Google have been 5-star which is pretty awesome compared to other companies
- At this point in time, it has been awarded the “Amazon’s Choice” label.
- Happy customers have raved about the quality and appearance of the lamps. Some have also mentioned that they think the touch sensor switch is pretty cool
- They claim that their salt lamps are professionally hand-carved Himalayan rock salt from the Khewra mines in Pakistan and that they have a mining certificate, unlike other suppliers to prove it.
- Products come with a 1-year warranty, however you also get the option to extend to 2 years for FREE. They also have a 90-day money back guarantee and pride themselves on providing good customer service. A user manual and warranty card are included with the products.
- Lamps come in secure packaging to reduce the likelihood of damage
- You can choose to have a stainless-steel base or a wooden base with your lamp. Personally, I prefer a wooden base, but have linked both options in case you want to check either of them out.
- They have a modern and professional website, which for me adds wonders to their credibility (https://www.levoit.com/saltlamps)
- The lamp comes with 2 light bulbs, so you have a spare just in case.
- Levoit lamps are ETL, FCC, CE, and RoHS certified, and they claim that none of their products have been subject to any salt lamp fire hazard risks or recalls.
Note: Due to Amazon’s shipping restrictions to Australia, if you’re from “Down Under” (like I am,) the products below may have cheaper shipping. I personally own 2 of the SMAGREHO Himalayan Salt Lamps and love them!
I hope you now have a greater insight into what Himalayan Salt Lamps are all about.
- 7 Time-Saving Productivity Tips that Can Transform Your Life - May 4, 2020
- How to Do Body Scan Meditation & 5 Ways it Benefits Your Health - May 1, 2020
- How to Build a Meditation Routine | 5 Easy Tips for Beginners - April 29, 2020