Surrounding yourself with good meditation resources comes in handy when learning how to meditate for the first time.
I know when I started my meditation journey, this was something I really struggled with.
I didn’t know where to look to find simple information on meditation or even what I needed to get started.
I also felt so bombarded and overwhelmed by the number of articles containing conflicting information and content far too advanced for a simple newbie trying to navigate the ropes.
As a result, I couldn’t pin down exactly what I needed to get started…
I was also cautious about buying meditation resources that I didn’t think I needed to save money…sometimes to my own detriment.
But after some time, I realised that investing in the right meditation resources, doesn’t have to be expensive and can truly heighten and improve your experience during meditation.
Meditation Resources for Beginners
After a few years of practicing and trial & error, I was able to observe what meditation resources really helped and dramatically improved my results.
I considered the importance of guided meditations, a meditation course to help me learn the basics, setting the right ambiance and even simple things that improved comfort during my practice.
Here’s a list of 10 meditation resources I have used to improve the quality of my meditation practice.
I felt it valuable to share with you what meditation recourses I personally use for my practice or that I have created, to help you on your meditation journey to greater health and happiness.
Here’s a summary:
- An introductory Meditation Course for Beginners (Journey to Calm)
- Meditation Poses for Beginners Guide
- The Mindfully Happy Handbook
- Zafu Meditation Cushion
- Yoga Mats for Meditation
- Himalayan Salt Lamps
- Essential Oils & Diffuser
- Meditation Music Playlists & Guided Meditations
1. A Introductory Meditation Course for Beginners
Meditation is a learned skill. It requires practice, self-discipline and consistency to master.
Just as you would build your strength at the gym, you must follow a similar process when training your mind through meditation.
A simple way to learn how to meditate properly is to learn from someone who has been where you are – someone who has tried different types of meditation, learned from trial and error and is experiencing the results you’re wanting to achieve through meditation.
In the Journey to Calm Meditation Course for Beginners, I teach women how to use meditation to find greater happiness, health and fulfilment and how to apply the techniques you learn to relieve stress and anxiety symptoms.
It is the ultimate online course for women wanting to learn how to meditate and relieve stress and anxiety symptoms naturally.
Inside the course you’ll learn…
- How anxiety & chronic stress impact our health and stress relieving activities you can do to combat it
- About natural remedies you can add into your weekly routine for stress relief
- How to build a positive and un-shakeable mindset by overcoming limiting beliefs and using positive affirmations, gratitude and mindfulness.
- About the importance of self-care and some easy things you can do during your week to feel happier and fill your cup up again
- A step-by-step guide on how to meditate and what you need to know before getting started
- How to maintain a good posture to improve the quality of your practice
- Simple ways to reduce back & joint pain
- How to choose a meditation pose that suits your body and improves comfort and focus
- Simple techniques and tips to create a meditation room that you love and that heightens your meditation practice
- How to build a fool-proof Meditation Routine in just 14 days.
If you’d like to start your meditation journey with the journey to calm course, you can read more here.
Alternatively, you can sign up for the introductory FREE / Lite version below:
2. Meditation Poses for Beginners Guide
If you’re struggling with getting comfy during meditation, a good meditation resource to check out is the “Meditation Poses for Beginners’ guide.
In this 30-page guide, I teach beginners how to choose the right meditation pose for their body, improve their meditation posture and reduce back pain and discomfort during meditation.
One of the greatest setbacks for beginners is discomfort.
It causes them to procrastinate with building a consistent meditation practice because they:
- Can’t find a comfortable position that they can stay seated in for long periods of time
- Keep experiencing lower and upper back pain or tension
- Feel constantly distracted or can’t seem to due to trying to get comfortable
- Only know of one main poses (often too advanced) and lose confidence in their ability
In the Meditation Poses Guide for beginners, you’ll learn:
- Why posture is key for quality meditation
- Tips & tricks to improve your posture
- Simple and easy meditation poses designed for beginners
- Strategies to help you reduce back pain
This is a great meditation resource if you’re someone who needs help with how you should sit during meditation.
If you’re interested in getting a copy of the Meditation Poses for Beginners Guide you can learn more here.
3. Zafu Meditation Cushion
I know when I was first getting started with meditation, one of my biggest challenges was getting comfortable. I really struggled, even despite learning of the different meditation poses.
Lying down on the ground.
Kneeling…which was even worse.
I just couldn’t seem to avoid the aches and pains I was getting in my lower and upper back.
I realised I had a problem…
That’s when, I took myself on a quest to solve the issue and find a meditation resource that could help me combat this. Surely, there had to be a solution…
That’s when I bought my first meditation pillow.
I felt like an excited school girl jumping up and down.You know, that feeling you get when your crush smiles at you from across the room…
Yep, this was a BIG deal for me!
The meditation cushion helped me to:
- Reduce the aches in my back during meditation
- Improve my focus and concentration
- Sit still for longer periods of time
- Actually enjoy the process of meditating
And all because of one simple pillow… amazing, ey!
If you’re finding yourself in a similar position, grabbing yourself a good quality meditation cushion is 100% the way to go.
They’re great because they:
- Improve your overall posture
- Help to reinforce your meditation habit
- Help you to alleviate discomfort during meditation
- Light and durable and easily carried around
- They’re multi-purpose, so can be used for other things such as yoga and outdoor pillows.
If you’d like to get a meditation cushion for yourself, this is the meditation cushion I use personally and have been using it every day for the last year or so.
I love it, it’s good quality and really helps with the aches and pains. Such a great meditation resource that often gets overlooked.
I definitely wouldn’t go back to meditating without one, it’s just not worth it.
4. Yoga Mats for Meditation
As a beginner, it’s natural to debate whether or not you need a yoga mat for meditation…
Some say no, others say yes…So, what’s the best answer?
The truth is, you have to make a decision based on your own opinions and personal preferences.
Personally, I wouldn’t meditate without a yoga mat. But that’s me.
I prefer to be seated with my legs off the floor because:
- I find I can get itchy when directly sitting on carpet
- It provides some extra cushioning during your practice which truly goes a long way…
If you struggle with getting comfortable on the floor, investing in a yoga mat is another great meditation resource to improve the quality of your meditation practice.
You can read more about yoga mats for meditation here.
If you’re tossing up between a meditation cushion or a yoga mat, but don’t have the coin right now to afford both, I’d personally prioritise getting a meditation cushion. Then follow it with a yoga mat or zabuton for extra comfort.
5. The Mindfully Happy Handbook
The Mindfully Happy Handbook was created to help women live a happier and more fulfilled life through the simple principles of meditation, mindfulness, gratitude expression and overcoming limiting beliefs.
To feel truly happy with ourselves and our lives we must start from the inside out.
We must learn to overcome all the obstacles that have been holding us back from achieving our true potential, including limiting beliefs and negative thoughts.
That’s where this handbook comes in handy…
Inside the Mindfully Happy Handbook you’ll learn:
- About Mindfulness & Mindfulness Meditation
- The health benefits of practicing mindfulness and meditation and how it can transform your life, even with just 10 minutes a day.
- Ideas of how you can incorporate Mindfulness into your life
- About why gratitude is so important for living a happy life.
- How to overcome limiting beliefs and negative thoughts and how changing your beliefs can change your life
- How to start your own very basic mindfulness meditation practice
If you’d like to start your meditation journey with the Mindfully Happy Handbook, you can grab your own copy here.
6. Himalayan Salt Lamps
Himalayan Salt Lamps are another great meditation resource, especially if you have a dedicated meditation room or meditation space.
They’re great for promoting a relaxing and calming ambience for your meditation practice because they give off a dull pinky orange light.
This is awesome if you plan to meditate in the mornings because you can enjoy dim lighting, rather than turning the entire room light on or meditating in complete darkness.
They also have a range of other perceived benefits for your health and wellness too.
- What is a Himalayan Salt Lamp & Why Do People Love Them?
- Real vs. Fake Himalayan Salt Lamps & How to Tell the Difference
- 5 Things to Know Before Buying a Himalayan Salt Lamp
If you’re interested in getting a Himalayan salt lamp to improve your meditation practice, this is the one I personally use and love.
They are great quality, low maintenance, made from real himalayan salt (NOT FAKES) and are really easy to use.
7. 100% Pure Essential Oils & Diffuser
Another optional meditation resource that help get you in the mood for meditation are pure essential oils.
Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you’ve probably heard about some of the associated benefits and natural healing properties of essential oils.
Benefits linked to essential oils:
- Lemon & Peppermint are considered great for concentration, focus, digestion or immunity
- Tea-tree and Bergamot can be helpful for itchy skin conditions (eg. Eczema) or fighting infections
- Eucalyptus can help with decongestion and respiratory issues
- Lavender, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot and Chamomile are known for their calming and soothing properties which can help enhance sleep and relieve stress & anxiety symptoms.
Smell is one of our greatest bodily senses, and has the power to trigger memories and also certain behaviours.
Let’s have a moment of reflection…
What happens to you when you smell:
- Dried out lavender?
- Dried out lavender reminds me of my grandparents
- The smell of McDonalds makes me salivate, even if I don’t want it
- Nature smells and sounds relax me
- When I smell animals, I automatically feel excited
If thinking of purchasing essential oils for meditation, be careful and do your best to purchase 100% pure essential oils. You want to avoid fake fragrances and impure essential oils.
I share some tips about essential oils in these articles:
8. Meditation Music Playlists & Guided Meditations
If you’re not keen on meditating in silence, you can download some really great meditation music playlists.
Like essential oils this can also help to get you in the mood for your meditation practice, and also evoke certain emotions that you’re wanting to feel.
The playlists mentioned in this article are the ones I often use and cycle through for my own meditation practice.
You can also download the free meditation app called Insight Timer, however it is a good idea to learn the foundations of meditation first, before you jump into this app.
Here are the steps and meditation resources I suggest you start out with if wanting to begin your own meditation journey:
- Register for the Lite / FREE Version of the Journey to Calm Meditation Course
- Get yourself a Meditation Cushion to help improve comfort during your practice, as you build your flexibility and the strength of your core.
- Complete the complete Journey to Calm Meditation Course for Beginners
That way you’ll learn the foundations of meditation, how to choose a pose that suits your body to increase comfort and how to build a rewarding morning meditation routine that fits in with your lifestyle.
I hope you now have a greater insight into some easy and helpful meditation resources to improve your experience and results from your meditation practice.
- Why I Quit My Job to Travel the World at 24yo - April 25, 2021
- Why Seeing Progress on our Goals Helps us Live a Happier Life - March 10, 2021
- 7 Time-Saving Productivity Tips that Can Transform Your Life - May 4, 2020